Re: smbfs and 2.1.79 again

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 21:55:24 -0500

David Burrows wrote:

> I havn't tried your patch to 2.1.79 to use the different gettatr calls
> (yet) or whatever it was. But I had a go out mounting with -f 3755, which
> should enable the workarounds (even though I compiled smbfs with the
> workaround enabled). Still no go. When I do ls, ls -l, I get 0 files the
> first few times, but after a while it lists some of the files, but with no
> permissions except for dirs which have the "d" bit correctly set.

The compiled-in workaround only addresses one Win 95 bug -- it provides
a delay when getting a directory listing. The problem with getattr is
controlled by another flag settable at runtime. If the -f 3755 flag is
getting passed into smbfs correctly, you should get another message at
mount time like "Using core attributes". If this message isn't
appearing, then the flags are being lost somehow.

> Is there a way I can patch my kernel source with your patch, and just
> recompile smbfs without having to recompile the whole kernel?

If you've got smbfs defined as a module, only the module needs to be
compiled after patching -- just do "make modules" and "make
modules_install".

I'm beginning to think that the problem may be with Win 95 OSR2 --
another tester reports no trouble using Win 95 OSR1. Hopefully others
here on the kernel list can provide reports of success or failure with a
specific version of Win95.

Regards,
Bill