Re: [2.1.79] sound and IDE DMA

B. James Phillippe (bryan@Terran.ORG)
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 10:31:23 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Gadi Oxman wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, B. James Phillippe wrote:
>
> > Second problem is that my Western Digital caviar 3G EIDE drive doesn't
> > come up in DMA mode anymore, even though I answered yes to IDE-PCI and
> > IDE-DMA support. My chipset is a Intel 430FX. When I use hdparm -d1, it
> > says "Operation not permitted" (even though I'm root).
>
> Old versions of Linux used to work around a BIOS problem in the detection
> of multi-function PCI devices on first generation 430FX boards. As far as
> we know, the problem remains only with the Intel Advanced/ZP board and BIOS
> revisions <= 1.04.

Thanks for the informative response. I'm not sure if the BIOS upgrade in
the URL you posted would apply to me. My motherboard is a Tyan Titan III
1468 using an Award BIOS (I think version 4.01; I'd have to reboot to
check). The date on the BIOS I do recall, and that is 12/31/1996.

I've had this motherboard for a few years and have been using IDE w/DMA
with not so much as a hiccup, until 2.1.7someodd (I think .76).

thanks,
-bp

--
B. James Phillippe <bryan@Terran.ORG>
UNIX, Linux, networks, C, Perl, Java, etc.