Re: performance discrepancy between UP and SMP

Joel Jaeggli (joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu)
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 09:46:51 -0800 (PST)

Try pulling 256Mb out of the SMP pentium-II I encounter similer problems
with a single processor box running nt with 384 vs 256 mb of ram.

joelja

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> UP Machine: single pentium-II 266 w/128Mb 10ns SDRAM, linux 2.1.62
>
> SMP Machine: dual pentium-II 266 w/512Mb 10ns SDRAM, linux 2.1.77
>
> I ran apache/1.3b4-dev set up for 5 clients maximum, no logging. For a
> stress I ran zeusbench across 127.0.0.1, 5 clients using keep-alive,
> requesting a 6k file. Disk I/O and RAM are not an issue.
>
> The UP machine achieves 1550 req/s. The SMP machine achieves 682 req/s.
>
> I tried cranking apache and zb up to 30 clients and the SMP machine got
> 685 req/s. On a whim I tried running apache nice +4, my guess was that zb
> was getting starved (processor affinity gone awry?). This got 720 r/s.
>
> I tried running two zb's each with 15 clients and couldn't get them to do
> better than 550 r/s total.
>
> So anyway, this is a kind of lame "benchmark" for various reasons. But I
> just thought I'd mention it in case someone wants to take a look at why
> there's such a vast diff.
>
> If you want to reconstruct this visit dev.apache.org:/httpd/from-cvs and
> grab a recent snapshot of Apache. You'll find zeusbench in src/test/zb.c
> in the tarball. I made some compile-time tweaks but I doubt you'll have
> to to see these numbers, you should be able to get 1200 r/s easily without
> knowing all the dials and knobs. I ran with a completely cooked run-time
> configuration file, it's below.
>
> Dean
>
> Port 8080
> ServerRoot /tmp/apache
> DocumentRoot /tmp/apache
> MaxClients 30
> StartServers 30
> MinSpareServers 1
> MaxSpareServers 30
> MaxRequestsPerChild 100000
> ResourceConfig /dev/null
> AccessConfig /dev/null
>
> <Directory />
> AllowOverride none
> Options FollowSymLinks
> </Directory>

Joel Jaeggli joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
Academic User Services consult@gladstone.uoregon.edu
PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E
CONSERVATIVE, n. A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as
distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others.
--Ambrose Bierce