Re: 2.1.79 still has NFS client problems

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 08:27:50 -0500

Michael Lausch wrote:

> if a file on an NFS mounted directoru is opened by an application and
> the application wants to rename this file, EBUSY is returned. This
> happens with the user space NFS daemon on the server.
>
> Will this problem be fixed? At least exmh and ddd suffer from this.

This problem is under consideration. Right now NFS client is playing it
safe by not renaming sources or targets that are busy (dentry count >
1).

The reasons for this are to avoid potential problems with deleting a
file on the server while an inode is in use locally. (Rename may involve
an implicit delete.) Once all of the busy inode bugs have been nailed,
we can look at ways to safely do a rename with busy objects.

Regards,
Bill