Re: disk naming proposal & devfs (fwd)

Jauder Ho (jauderho@transmeta.com)
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 22:50:24 -0800 (PST)

well if you believe all the numbers floating around the net, linux
actually has a bigger user base than solaris. but that's not what' important.
Linux DOES need commercial support and like you said, the easier we make it for
the vendors to port their stuff over, hopefully they would be more inclined to
do so.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like a /etc/system file for linux too.

--Jauder

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Perry Harrington wrote:

> Greetings, I am new to (this) list. I have quite a bit of experience with
> Solaris, and I must say that duplicating the Solaris naming scheme to access
> SCSI disks/devices is a Good Thing(tm). Getting commercial software vendors
> to support Linux is difficult already, creating some non-standard obscure
> naming scheme is a step in the wrong direction. It is conceivable that we
> could get some commercial vendor (Veritas???) to support Linux when logical
> vols are up to snuff, and this would make them happy. I personally think
> that the Controller,Target,device?,slice model seems kindof silly, but Solaris
> has a market share that's the envy of Linux.
>
> My $0.02.
>
> --Perry

HANDLE WITH EXTREME CARE: This Message Contains Minute Electrically
Charged Particles Moving at Velocities in Excess of Five Hundred Million
Miles Per Hour.