Re: devfs

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 15:53:03 -0500 (EST)

ketil@ii.uib.no writes:
> alvo@cloud9.net (John G. Alvord) writes:

>> The use of letters like h and d is rather English-centric for the
>> exact physical name. A pure dot/dash/underline separated physical
>> name would require less to explain for non-Englishspeakers.
>
> Right. But then again, for that vast majority of linux-users worldwide
> that actually are able to understand a word like "target", it is rather
> nice to have that shorthand little "t" in there to point out exactly
> which of the digits refer to the SCSI-id.
>
> As for English vs. not, what the hell is a "LUN" anyway? Let's keep
> the letters, it's a lot simpler than counting digits. Or find a
> non-English-speaking person who really insists it would be easier
> for *him* not to have the letters present.

Being a native English speaker, you might expect me to want
the letters. I do not, since they make the name less readable.

Consider the visual aspect. Letters look somewhat like numbers.
The '-' character is noticably different. It makes a great separater.

Easy to read from a distance on a fuzzy monitor: 0-1-1-0-1
Hard to read from a distance on a fuzzy monitor: c0b1u1l0p1

That other issue: I'm happy with /dev/disk, /dev/cdrom...
It is best to put IDE and SCSI disks together as disks and
put IDE and SCSI CD-ROMs together as CD-ROMs. Then at some
future time we can have /dev/rawdisk and /dev/volumes.