Re: devfs patch v3

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@MIT.EDU)
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 11:42:13 -0500

From: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox)
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 10:27:11 +0000 (GMT)

Then I guess you put it back by hand. I believe this is the official magic
procedure for recovering disks if they explode and stuff too. By all means
add a label in case the UUID is lost, and a label in case the label for
the UUID is lost and a label in case the label in case the etc..

The UUID and the label are both stored in the superblock --- along with
fundamental information about the layout of how many blocks are in the
filesystem, what the blocksize is, etc. Trust me, if the superblock
(and all of its backup copies) are toast, you have a lot more to worry
about that restoring the UUID or the volume label. :-)

- Ted