Re: smbfs and 2.1.x: The battle continues

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 11:49:36 -0500

David Burrows wrote:

> Now the fun starts. I try what is in the man pages, using smbmount to log
> into the share, then mount /mntpoint.
>
> # ls -l
> ls: .: Too many open files in system
>
> # ls -l
> smb_proc_readdir_long: rcls=2, err=1, breaking
> smb_refill_dircache: readdir failed, result=-23
> total 0
>
> # find
> .
> smb_lookup: find //CONFIG.SYS failed, error=-23
> find: ./CONFIG.SYS: Too many open files in system
> ./My Documents
> smb_proc_readdir_long: rcls=2, err=1, breaking
> smb_refill_dircache: readdir failed, result=-23
> ./__ofidx0.ffx
> smb_lookup: find //Program Files failed, error=-23
> find: ./Program Files: Too many open files in system
> ./CDROM
> etc (it continues like this for a few pages then stops)

The "Too many files open" is an artifact -- a general-purpose error is
being mapped to "too many files". Normally it shouldn't come up at all,
but there seems to be something wrong with the readdir call. Are you
running 2.1.78?

> Ok, now as per the documentation in
> linux/Documentation/filesystems/smbfs.txt
> I try the exact same as above except with mount /mntpoint -f 3755 (for the
> win95 bugfixes)
>
> Same as above, pretty much ignores the -f 3755.. Now I could try
> recompiling smbfs with win95 bug workarounds, but I don't know how to do
> that without recompiling the whole kernel. And besides, I'm not even sure
> that will fix it. And what then if I wanted to connect to an NT share?

When you say "pretty much ignores ...", did you get a couple of messages
when you mounted the share acknowledging the bug workarounds? If the
messages didn't appear, then somehow the mount flags aren't making it
into the smbfs code.

If you have an NT system available, please try connecting to that to see
if the problems are Win 95-specific.

> Why has everything changed from just "smbmount //server/share /mntpoint
> -options" anyway? If I was gifted enough I would attempt to restore it
> back to that way, but I'm not, and even if I was, I don't know what
> motivated things to be changed to the current state anyway.

Once the mount flags problems are sorted out, you can define a smbmount
script that does just what you want. My smbfs mount script just pipes
the data to smbclient with an echo command.

Regards,
Bill