Re: devfs

Stephen Harris (sweh@spuddy.mew.co.uk)
Sun, 11 Jan 1998 17:16:53 +0000 (GMT)

> Michael Neuffer writes:
> > On Sun, 11 Jan 1998, Stephen Harris wrote:

> > > 16 controllers. OK...
> >
> > No not controllers. This is buses on the controller. 4 bits for this
> > should be the lower limit. The smallest SSA that you can buy from
> > SUN for example has already 6 buses.

OK, right. Sun's slightly abuse their c#t#d#s# slightly when it comes to SSAs.
The c# is the Fibre line controler. NOTE: this is a different driver and
has a different major device number. Thus we can treat the t# (the bus inside
the SSA) as if it was a controller. The "16 controller" limit I mentioned
above is 16 controllers of the same type. A Sun SSA 100 series has 6 FW buses
each of which have 5 disks on them.

So..
c# Fibre controller
t# Bus
d# Disk on bus
s# Partition on disk

There are no LUNs.

My calculations stand.

Stephen Harris
sweh@spuddy.mew.co.uk http://www.spuddy.org/

The truth is the truth, and opinion just opinion. But what is what?
* Meeeeow ! Call Spud the Cat on > 01268 515441 < for free Usenet access *