Re: 2.1.78: mm and networking questions...

James R. Van Zandt (jrv@vanzandt.mv.com)
Sun, 11 Jan 1998 19:29:02 -0500 (EST)

Kai Henningsen writes:
>kwrohrer@enteract.com wrote on 09.01.98:
>
>> Well, you got license to a solid, lean red-black tree implementation?
>> If so, drop it in! Same for a solid, lean AVL tree implementation.
>> If starting from scratch I'd prefer the red-black tree because
>> I know there are good algorithm descriptions out there; I haven't
>> seen good pseudo-code for AVL trees yet.
>
>The "Handbook of Algorithms and Data Structures" has vode for AVL insert
>and left rotation, if you're interested. Not so for red-black trees.

See:

Bruce Schneier, "Red-Black Trees", Dr. Dobb's Journal #187, Apr
1992, pp 42-46.

He has pseudocode only. He recommends red-black trees for data that
is uniformly accessed and frequently updated. When some nodes are
accessed much more frequently than most others, self-adjusting
structures like splay trees are better. For example:

Andrew M. Liao, "Self-Adjusting Data Structures", Dr. Dobb's Journal
#161, Feb 1990, pp 44-57 and 105-107.

- Jim Van Zandt