Re: no need for a devfs

Dave Cinege (dcinege@psychosis.com)
Sun, 11 Jan 98 19:18:39 -0500

On 10 Jan 1998 22:38:00 +0200, Kai Henningsen wrote:

>pbrutsch@creighton.edu (Phil Brutsche) wrote on 07.01.98 in <Pine.HPP.3.95.980107213351.13482C-100000@bluejay.creighton.edu>:
>
>> No, please don't do this. It's too confusing. What's wrong with the
>> current SCSI setup (/dev/sda, /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, etc) in any case?
>
>It's fragile. But then, so is the proposed replacement.
>
>What you probably really want is something like this:
>
>* for each partition, determine a unique id somehow (ext2 already has
> this, and so does FAT)
>
>* Use this id to identify the partition
>
>That way, you can add or remove disks, change them to other adapters and/
>or different SCSI IDs, and create and delete partitions. As long as you
>don't touch the named partition, it will be found every time.

Right, right...this is what I'm talking about. You can't do away with the
psychical mappings, since at times you need to know where something is.
But creating symlinks on the fly back to the actual device would be best.
The advatage of the symlink is it's easy to see the orignal phsycal area it
points too.

So we are looking at something like this:
/dev/

sd_c0b0t0d0
sd_c0b0t0d0s0
sd_c0b0t0d0s1
sd_c0b0t0d0s2
sd_c0b0t0d0s3

linroot -> sd_c0b0t0d0s0
var -> sd_c0b0t0d0s1
usr -> sd_c0b0t0d0s2
DOS -> sd_c0b0t0d0s3

fstab just uses the latter names.

One step further would it be possible to name the disk itself?
That would sure things up 100%

d0 -> sd_c0b0t0d0
d0.linroot -> sd_c0b0t0d0s0
d0.var -> sd_c0b0t0d0s1
d0.usr -> sd_c0b0t0d0s2
d0.DOS -> sd_c0b0t0d0s3

I also I think it goes without saying the differentiating of primaries and
logicals in the partition numbers is not a good thing. Linux does not care
if it is talking to either or, and I don't see a reason for the current
1-4/5+ break we have. (except to break things : >)

If it's a primary let fdisk tell us, otherwise we don't care, right?

http://www.psychosis.com/emc/ Elite MicroComputers 908-541-4214
http://www.psychosis.com/linux-router/ Linux Router Project