Re: PROPOSAL: /proc/dev

C. Scott Ananian (cananian@lcs.mit.edu)
Sat, 10 Jan 1998 13:53:48 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 10 Jan 1998 Richard Gooch <rgooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU> wrote:

> Theodore Y. Ts'o writes:
> [...]
> > I thought you said devfs would be compatible with people who need to
> > create a subset of /dev with character and block devices in (say)
> > /u1/ftp/dev for the purpose of creating chroot'ed jail....

> Er, I don't think there is a problem.
[...]
> Installation during the transition phase
>
> Currently, not all device drivers in the kernel have been modified to
> use devfs. To allow booting of kernels with and without devfs support,
> you will want to copy the contents of /dev to /olddev. Then, remove
> entries in /dev which are now available in devfs and make them
> symbolic links to the entries in /olddev.
> Finally, edit your /etc/fstab or boot scripts so that devfs is mounted
> over /olddev on bootup. If devfs is supported, accessing devices
> supported by devfs will follow the symlinks to devfs. If devfs is not
> supported, accessing those same devices will follow the symlinks to
> /olddev which contains only old-style device nodes.
> Devices not supported by devfs will be found directly on /dev.
> Simple! You can also follow this principle for chroot gaols.

Well, it doesn't sound so simple, but I'll take your word for it.
I assume that this means that I can make a chroot jail using *only*
old-style dev entries (forgoing the new-fangled devfs) if I like?
If not, why not?
--Scott
@ @
C. Scott Ananian: cananian@lcs.mit.edu / Declare the Truth boldly and
Laboratory for Computer Science/Crypto / without hindrance.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology /META-PARRESIAS AKOLUTOS:Acts 28:31
PGP key available via finger and from http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/~cananian