Re: uart 16550AN

Sat, 10 Jan 1998 12:47:43 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 10 Jan 1998, Noah Beck wrote:

> Pavel Machek wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > > This chip is in the "Telepath for Windows with x2" modem that is
included in
> > > my new Gateway 300 MHz machine. I originally installed 2.0.25 from
> > > the
> >
> > Try that modem under dos, to assure it is not crippled winmodem beast.
>
> I just helped a friend install linux a couple of days ago on his GW2k 266
> MHz
> machine, and found he had the same modem. It actually says, in the manual,
> in one of the configuration sections, "This modem will only work under
> Windows 95 and Windows 3.1; it will not work under DOS." I tried really
> hard to get it to work; after I read that, I gave up and we looked at modem
> prices on pricewatch.com.
>
> Noah

True. Encountered here also. That modem seems to be memory-mapped and only
Windows knows how/why/where. It may be part of Gates' attempt to take over
the world. It does not appear at any of the standard port addresses. If
it does eventually appear at a standard port address, only Windows knows
how to turn it ON and make it visible.

Try debug from DOS

DOS> debug
-i 3f8
FF
-i 2f8
FF
-q

Nobody's home....

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.70 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).