Re: devfs

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
9 Jan 1998 15:28:58 -0800

In article <linux.kernel.x7d8i2b5rc.fsf@metal.iinet.net.au>,
Michael O'Reilly <michael@metal.iinet.net.au> wrote:

>As a sanity check: How many people would seriously want to run NTFS as
>root filesystem?

I want to run a MSDOS filesystem as a root filesystem; it's a cheaper
filesystem for a floppy than ext2 is, and the kernels I build only
have support for MSDOS, iso9660, and ext2 in them. (And, even with
ext2, having a devfs (with major and minor numbers, of course; a devfs
without those is, I'm afraid, useless for me.) means I don't have to
carry around nearly as many devices in /dev for booting a install/
recovery floppy.)

____
david parsons \bi/ Mind you, if 2.2 is 100k larger than 2.0, this will all
\/ be moot.