Re: 2.1.7[7-8] ide-pci.c "100%" printk and klogd

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
9 Jan 1998 18:33:07 GMT

In article <34B570FF.58395BDF@pobox.com>, mlord <mlord@pobox.com> wrote:
>Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
>>
>> Debian klogd segfault at boot if there is the line:
>>
>> PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
>> ^
>> in /proc/kmsg.
>>
>> I suppose that klogd must be fixed...
>
>Yup. Definitely a bug if it segfaults.

Yep, this is a buggy klogd issue, not a kernel issue. Anybody who does

fprintf(file,message);

instead of

fputf(message,file);

[ and even "fprintf(file, "%s", message);" is acceptable, although not
evry efficient. ]

should have to write "I will think before I write code" a million times.

>Works fine here though, maybe try updating your libraries?

It's not the libs it's klogd itself. Upgrade klogd (and if it still
isn't fixed, tell the world)

>I suppose one could say "completely" instead of "100%",
>but I liked the shorter output myself.

No, keep the 100% - this happens in other situations too, and klogd
really _has_ to be fixed.

Linus