Re: Overlay writable filesystem over r/o partition

Harald Milz (hm@seneca.muc.de)
Fri, 9 Jan 1998 17:06:00 +0100

Lance S. Nehring (lnehrin@uswest.com) wrote:
> Please pardon my memory lapse, but wasn't there an overlay filesystem
> available back before (or about) release kernel
> release 1.0.0?? I don't remember what it was called, but it was

This was called inheriting file system. The Unifix folks used it to run
their Linux distribution directly off the CD. You may want to ask them
(mail domain is unifix.de). I have no idea whether they are still active...
AFAIR, Werner Almesberger originally developed it. Werner, any comment?