Re: OFFTOPIC: New list please?

Mathew Burrack (neville@vm.sc.edu)
Fri, 09 Jan 1998 12:22:36 -0500

--------------074D2E031819974F2E49DF2F

Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Jauder Ho wrote:
> > For example I would dearly like to see 1) Quicken, 2) Photoshop and 3)
> > Framemaker ported to Linux.

> For Framemaker, I heard that the OS vendor is supposed to pay for the porting
> effort. So we need to find a vendor with money (Red Hat?).

The OS vendor may pay for the effort, but the company has to do the port, right? If
so, I don't know about Quicken, but Framemaker and Photoshop are now both owned by
Adobe, and since they have their hands full porting all their products to Rhapsody
at the moment, it's unlikely they'd turn their attention to Linux anytime soon
(unfortunately).

Unless, of course, the Rhapsody interface is as similar to UNIX as I've
heard--perhaps then it wouldn't be too much effort to port the Rhapsody version to
Linux--or would it?

Cheers!
Mathew Burrack

A pawn on a chessboard,
A false move by God will now destroy me,
But wait, on the horizon,
A new dawn seems to be rising,
Never to recall this passerby, born to die.
-- Genesis, "Dusk" from Trespass, 1970