Win-modems don't work with Linux Re: uart 16550AN

David Fries (dfries@mail.win.org)
Fri, 9 Jan 1998 02:53:37 -0600

--JI16pVnmMjqg7Yu+

On Fri, Jan 09, 1998 at 03:24:27AM -0500, Richard M. Heiberger wrote:
> This chip is in the "Telepath for Windows with x2" modem that is included in
> my new Gateway 300 MHz machine. I originally installed 2.0.25 from the
> Linux Universe CD-ROM. linux refuses to acknowledge the device. it claims
> an "unknown" chip. I downloaded 2.1.78 and am looking at the source code.
> The string "16550AN" is not there. I assume therefore that this version will
> also not be able to talk to my hardware.
>
> I have a second, probably related problem. Com1 has a 16550A chip.
> I can use it to configure a direct connection ppp link to another machine.
> linux refuses to recognize an external modem when I place it on that line.
> --clip--
> details from the windows 95 control panel/system/ports/telepath
> resource: interrupt request 03
> input/output range 0110-0117
> --clip--
> Is it possible to set the driver so 16550A* is identified as a generic 16550A?

You can read this line the rest are details, you got ripped off, the
internal modem will not work with Linux, you probably just have
something misconfigured for the external serial port or need to use
PNP to setup the port or something.

You have one of those things called a "win-modem." They fall in the
same catagory as win-*, or commonly refered to is a windows only
(inseart computer device name). They all have one thing in common,
they leave off hardware and expect your brand new (and I'm sure
expensive) processor to make up for it, just to save them selves a few
$$. To interperate, your computer is posessing performace deteriating
devices.

To put it another way, that big expensive pice of computer that you
thought you were getting the highest quailty components and probably
wanted something up to date or advanced while what you really got is
is a computer with the cheapest USRobotics modem you can find, which
has the most problems of all USRobotics modems (which I would
personally inseart that I have two of their better USRobotics 56k
modems that on BOTH of them I must disable compression or they
hang/reset(drop connection) or go a 500bytes/sec eventually, trust me
I have had 5 of them they aren't any good.) Back to what I was
saying, you got the cheapest USRobotics modems, that has the most
problems, that not even under windows can you use it in a dos program,
because the manufacturer left off the prom, flash hardware, and
related chips to move it to the system memory so it only works with
windows.

I hear some manufacturers actually moved the DSP (ditital signal
processor) functions from the modem to the computer, that is just
something I heard, USRobotics didn't do that, just the rom code that
tells the dsp what to do.

Windows might be reporting it as a 16550AN uart, but I can bet it
isn't, it is just the winmodem's device telling windows to treat it
like one.

Goto your control panel and see if you see a winmodem icon.

--
		|      David Fries                |

--JI16pVnmMjqg7Yu+ Content-Type: application/pgp-signature

--JI16pVnmMjqg7Yu+--