Re: Y2k - Is Linux Ready for the year 2000?

Eric W. Biederman (ebiederm+eric@npwt.net)
05 Jan 1998 23:15:41 -0600

RJ> On Mon, 5 Jan 1998, Jason Wilkins wrote:
>> I need documentation concerning Linux's year 2000 compliancy, can anyone
>> point me to it?
>>
>> Jason Wilkins
>>
RJ> No Unix machine has a problem with the year 2000, no matter how poorly
RJ> it may have been implemented.

Machines physically have problems. The RTC for example, may not work.
This may be at least in part a kernel issue.

RJ> The problems, if they exist at all, are in __applications__ code! It is
RJ> very difficult to make application code using the 'C' runtime library,
RJ> that would not work beyond the year 2000. The year 2000 means nothing
RJ> special to Unix machines.

Wrong. date at least the old one I have will die in the year 2000.

RJ> Of course one could set the machine time and do a sample run, but
RJ> that would be too easy.

Easy test as you said set the machine time, and do a sample run and be
suprised at how much breaks.

Eric