Re: Mysteriously disappearing 2.0.33

Jim Bourne (jbourne@island.net)
Sun, 4 Jan 1998 10:48:48 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 4 Jan 1998, Klaus Lichtenwalder wrote:

> Hi,
> this is not really a bug report, but more or less a shot in the dark, as
> I don't know what really happened. Here's the setup:
>
> Linux 2.0.33 fairly generic, gcc 2.7.2.1
> ISDN Subsystem (Elsa card), i82371PIIX enabled,
> AHA2940, 3 disks, 3c59x v.0.46C for 3c590 Vortex.
> 96MB Ram
[snip]

> The machine simply crashed after an uptime of 14 days. Nothing in the
> logs. It looks like one isdn interface and one asynchronous ppp
> interface were active at that time.

Try dropping back to the 3c59x v.0.44 driver. The crash sounds almost
exactly the same as lockups we had with both the .0.46C and .0.47 3c59x
driver on multiple machines. We could log into the console, drop the eth0
interface, then bring it back up and it was fine (rebooting just to be on
the safe side). Since then we have had success by just dropping back to the
.0.44 driver.

Testing .0.47 on my workstation, I could lockup the eth0 interface (and all
aliases associated with that) by doing 3 simultaneous ftp sessions over
10bT. After aprox 1 min the card locked up.

OTOH the .0.46C driver works great on 3c905 cards.

> Guess I recompile the kernel with the memory-leak patch? Anybody else
> has ideas?

So far we haven't had any problems with memory leaks that we have noticed on
any of the 14 machines we have running 2.0.33.

Regards,
Jim

--
James Bourne           |            E-Mail:             jbourne@island.net