Re: /proc/cpuinfo a bit broken in 2.1.76

David Burrows (snadge@gemcorp.com.au)
Sun, 4 Jan 1998 18:21:38 +1000 (EST)

> On Sat, 3 Jan 1998, Martin Mares wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > > I am running 2.1.76 on an i486dx33 with 8mb ram. It is an ip masq box for
> > > my local network, and it functions perfectly.. Anyway, this is the output
> > > of cat /proc/cpuinfo.
> > >
> > > processor : 0
> > > cpu family : 4
> > > model : unknown
> [...]
> > Hmmm... I don't see anything wrong in it. Old Intel 486's don't have
> > a CPUID instruction, so the vendor ID cannot be determined.
> >
> > Have a nice fortnight
>
> Did /proc/cpuinfo work before? (Since your running the current 2.1 kernel,
> I assume that this isn't your first kernel...)
>
> -=- James Mastros

Actually, although I'm not certain, I think what confused me is that it
used to say "486" on a stock RedHat 5.0 installation. (eg 2.0.32)

I must've skipped over it blindly and thought it said CPU family 0 or
something, because it was missing 486 and just had family 4.

Dave.