Re: PROPOSAL: /proc/dev

James Mastros (root@jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org)
Fri, 2 Jan 1998 23:11:32 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 3 Jan 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:
> James Mastros writes:
> > > I've had a closer look and I think we can avoid creating an inode for
> > > each /dev entry.
> > Ahh, good. I'm currently writing a memfs (IE automaticly growing and
> > shrinking fs in ram only (nonpersistant without userlevel help)); I'm going
> > to finish it and then extend it to a devfs. I hope you share your inodeless
> > plan with me... (hint, hint...)
>
> I'm still working out how the VFS works. I'm not sure how much
> commonality there would be between memfs and devfs. I was going to
> evolve a testfs (where I can learn about things) to a devfs.
So am I; I'm just learning by diving in (and trying to figure out where all
of these incompatable pointer types are comming from (ARGH!)).

I should think there would be lots of similarities: devfs=memfs+automagic
file generation <G>.

> However,
> if you're set on writing one yourself...
Hardly! Why don't we both write it, and then we can merge code when we're
done. Or, more likely, when one of us gets to a first-pre-alpha stage
(.000001 or so <G>), the other can try to use the experance that they got to
improve on it.

> Once I understand what I'm doing I can show you what I have in mind
> ;-)
May you groking be quick and relatively painless. <G>

-=- James Mastros

--
Information as a base of power is coming to an end.  In the way the world
works tomorrow, the power to *do* *something* *with* *information* is what

-=- James Mastros, rephrasing Nugget (David McNett, distributed.net Big Man)