Re: dcache questions

Christopher Faylor (cgf@bbc.com)
Thu, 1 Jan 1998 20:12:46 GMT

In article <34AAB893.B2EC0656@star.net>, Bill Hawes <whawes@star.net> wrote:
>Martin von Loewis wrote:
>
>> Here, the logic for detecting short names seems flawed. It is certainly
>> possible to do
>>
>> touch foobar~1
>>
>> without having a corresponding long name. Also, I believe VFAT chooses
>> another character when it runs out of last characters.
>
>I think this case can still be handled in the same way. Since the name
>looks like a possible short alias, you do a disk search, and if that
>fails go ahead and create the dentry for foobar~1 (it is a legal
>filename, after all). Then when the file is created on disk, the long
>and short names will be the same.

I don't know if anyone has pointed this out, but there is a registry
option in Windows95 which causes the short versions of file names to
just be a truncated version of the long filename. For example,
`alongfilename.bat' would have a short file entry of `alongfil.bat' .
There is no '~' or other character involved.

--
http://www.bbc.com/	cgf@bbc.com			"Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."