Re: Masquerade: Any large network limits?

Jacques Gelinas (jack@solucorp.qc.ca)
Wed, 31 Dec 1997 13:18:23 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 31 Dec 1997, Patrick Main wrote:

> I have been asked how many users can be masqueraded
> with ONE linux server. This would be with kernel 2.0.33
> with ethernet only connections and connected via T1 to
> the Internet.
>
> At a local college i have a small intranet with about 60
> machines <three student labs> running through a similar setup.
> This has worked very well. Now there's a possibility of running
> an entire county schoool district through a similar setup.
>
> With a recent Pentium box and of course PCI controllers "all"
> Is there a memory problem although will probably have 64 Megs
> Net cards will be Tulip based and probably Buslogic scsi.
>
> Major question is how many connections can linux masq "reliably"
> ie: 1000 connects? what about 5000?
> Would like to hear from anyone masquerading a large network and
> there real life results.
>
> We are considering using one machine for the entire district or
> if this is bad then multiple machines with a school or two assigned to
> each box. Hence the question of: what are reasonable expectations of
> one box handling?

I have no precise numbers, but one site I help manage have a single DX4
with 8 megs acting as firewall and masquerading box for a 32 schools.

They are connected to the internet using a 256k link (which is incredibly
overload). They will go to a T1. I don't expect the DX4 to change

As far as I know, this machine pretty much do nothing: Almost idle all the
time.

A small but important detail. They are using a proxy for web and this
proxy is going through the DX4 but is not masqueraded.

For such a project anyway, I would go for a masquerading host + a
transparent proxy with squid on the same server.

Jacques Gelinas (jacques@solucorp.qc.ca)
Linuxconf: The ultimate administration system for Linux.
see http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/linuxconf
new developments: remote GUI admin, multiple machines admin