Re: linux-nfs -- probably a silly question

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Wed, 31 Dec 1997 09:59:11 -0500

Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Apologies for asking what is probably too innocent a question for this list.
> But what exactly is the relation between linux-nfs and the linux-2.1.* kernels?
>
> Documentation/Changes suggests one gets the latest linux-nfs.
> But should one really install the utils in this bundle?
> "Changes" does not make this at all clear.
>
> Some of the parts of the bundle seem intended as kernel patches
> (and only compile if __KERNEL__ is defined).

The linux-nfs package has the tools required to use the kernel nfsd.
The kernel patches in the package aren't required, as the nfsd code is
already in the kernel tree.

> I ask as I have compiled Linux-2.1.76 on two boxes.
> It works perfectly on one, but not on the other --
> I think because of some NFS problem,
> perhaps related to the mounting of Sun filesystems.
> (I'm not really able to experiment on this box,
> as too many other people are affected.)

If you're having trouble getting knfsd to work, submit a bug report with
a description of the problem.

Regards,
Bill