Re: knfs/alpha patches (cont.)

Steven N. Hirsch (shirsch@ibm.net)
Tue, 30 Dec 1997 09:12:27 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 30 Dec 1997, Marc Duponcheel wrote:

> Thanks Steven,
>
> On Mon, 29 Dec 1997, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > I said I wouldn't do any more work on this, but I lied <g>. Here is a
> > much cleaner set of patches to make linux-nfs-0.4.21 compile and run with
> > RH4.2 + glibc-2 or RH5.0 on the Alpha.
> >
> > Steve
>
> It compiles and runs on i386 too (2.1.72, glibc). However, just for the
> record, I get:
>
> Dec 30 02:24:00 cross-brew mountd[305]: getfh failed: Operation not permitted
>
> in all possible export/mount combinations I tried that should work.
>
> I realiase that this is stuff 'under construction' but I thought I would
> mention the syslog.
>
> Note: getfh looks like an innocent but crucial function in the nfs code.

Marc,

I have no means of testing the patches under Intel linux. Most of the
issues on Alpha were differences between kernel headers and glibc headers
with regard to storage sizes. On alpha, the userland dev_t is an unsigned
long (64-bits) while the kernel syscalls expected dev_t to be unsigned int
(32-bits). There is a patch floating around at cmu.edu which claims to
make linux-nfs functional on Intel glibc. It did not address many of the
problems that mine did on Alpha, but you may wish to hunt it down and try
it!

Steve