Re: 2.0.33: scsi tape strangeness

eyal (eyal@eyal.emu.id.au)
Mon, 29 Dec 1997 09:59:41 +1100

Kai M{kisara wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Dec 1997, eyal wrote:
>
> > I have a DDS-I DAT tape, which I used for over three years. My standard
> > initialization
> > before a backup involves removing all partitions. No problems there. A
> > few months
> > ago I started using a new DDS-II unit, and my DDS-I tape became st1.
> > Since then the
> > system thinks that the old unit does not support partitioning. It says:
> >
> You have to enable partition support before using it. I guess somewhere in
> your startup scripts you enable it for st0 (and should now enable for st1,
> too).

Well, I do enable it.

Here is a test script:
======================

#!/bin/sh
tape=/dev/nst1
bsize=32768

mt="mt -f $tape"

echo $mt setblk $bsize
$mt setblk $bsize

echo $mt drvbuffer 2
$mt drvbuffer 2

echo $mt stsetoptions can-partitions scsi2logical
$mt stsetoptions can-partitions scsi2logical

echo $mt compression 0
$mt compression 0

echo $mt rewind
$mt rewind

echo $mt mkpartition 0
$mt mkpartition 0

echo $mt rewind
$mt rewind

exit 0

When I run it I get:
====================

mt -f /dev/nst1 setblk 32768
mt -f /dev/nst1 drvbuffer 2
mt -f /dev/nst1 stsetoptions can-partitions scsi2logical
mt -f /dev/nst1 compression 0
/dev/nst1: I/O error <<<< this is OK, not available
mt -f /dev/nst1 rewind
mt -f /dev/nst1 mkpartition 0
/dev/nst1: Invalid argument <<<< this is wrong
mt -f /dev/nst1 rewind

And the messages are:
=====================

st1: Mode 0 options: buffer writes: 1, async writes: 1, read ahead: 1
st1: can bsr: 0, two FMs: 0, fast mteom: 0, auto lock: 0,
st1: defs for wr: 0, no block limits: 0, partitions: 0, s2 log: 1

Here is the scsiinfo on the device:
===================================

Data from device configuration Page
-----------------------------------
medium type 0x0
WP 0
buffered mode 2
speed 0x0
bd 0 density 0x13
bd 0 no. of blocks 0
bd 0 reserved 0x0
bd 0 block length 32768
reserved 0
CAP 0
CAF 0
active format 0x0
active partition 0
write buffer full ratio 128
read buffer empty ratio 128
write delay time 384
DBR 0
BIS 1
RSmk 1
AVC 0
SOCF 0
RBO 0
REW 0
gap size 0
EOD defined 0
EEG 1
SEW 1
reserved 0
buffer size at early warn. 0
select data compress. alg. 0
reserved 0x0

Data from Partition pages
-------------------------
maximum additional parts. 1 <<< partitions available
additional parts. defined 0
FDP 0
SDP 0
IDP 0