Re: ATAPI/IDE CD-R support or CD-RW support?

Gadi Oxman (gadio@netvision.net.il)
Fri, 26 Dec 1997 10:02:05 +0300 (IST)

On Thu, 25 Dec 1997, Toby Reed wrote:

> http://www.fokus.gmd.de/nthp/employees/schilling/man/README/README.ATAPI
>
> This page talks about using an ATAPI CD-R with Linux. The patches are for
> 2.0.31, but my question is have they been incorperated in the 2.1 kernel
> yet or should I hand-patch them?

The support is included in 2.1.73 and above.

> Also, can I still use the drive to mount as a cd-rom drive...even with the
> scsi emulation enabled? or do I have the unload the module ;)

Yes, the ATAPI cdrom will also be mapped to /dev/sr0, and you would
be able to mount it using the SCSI cdrom driver.

Alternatively, in the 2.1.x kernels you can compile both the SCSI emulation
and the native ATAPI cdrom driver as modules, and switch between them using
"rmmod ide-scsi" and "insmod ide-cd". "cat/proc/ide/.../hdx/driver" will
display the current driver :-)

> Next question -- is CD-RW at all supported under Linux or being worked on?
> One thing that comes to mind is you might be able to use the 'mt' program
> used for tapes to erase a CD-RW since tapes and cd-rw drives in praticular
> are very technically similar IMHO
>
> thanks for your time ;)
>
> -TR

I think that the "blank" argument to cdrecord can be used to erase a CD-RW.
It would not work with the 2.0.x patch in README.ATAPI (the constant timeout
is too short), but is should be supported with 2.1.73 and above.

Gadi