Re: Oops with 2.1.76 on Alpha (maybe DE4x5?)

Steven N. Hirsch (shirsch@ibm.net)
Thu, 25 Dec 1997 23:10:05 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 25 Dec 1997, Tim Waugh wrote:

> I got a kernel oops while booting 2.1.76 on my UDB. The program counter
> was somewhere in DevicePresent, a DE4x5 function. "RA" pointed to inside
> _outl.

Tim,

I don't think that 2.1.76 is purported to be functional on Alphas. I've
been fighting with mine for the past two days. After switching to a build
that uses one of Donald Becker's newer tulip drivers it gets as far as
starting syslogd, then blows up with a kernel panic. I didn't have to
update syslogd on any of the Intel/Cyrix boxes, so I don't really believe
that it's the root cause.

Let me know if you find a way to bring yours up?

BTW, if you are using RedHat, what version is it? I'm running RH4.2 with
the newer glibc-2.0.3 tacked on in _addition_ to the stock 1.99 version.

Steve