Re: Race conditions galore (2.0.33 and possibly 2.1.x)

Stephen R. van den Berg (srb@cuci.nl)
Thu, 25 Dec 1997 04:00:52 +0100

G.W. Wettstein wrote:
> find ./dir1 ./dir2 | cpio -o | (cd /u; cpio -ivd)

>The copy proceeded up to about the 43Mbyte point when I noticed the
>machine slowing down significantly. Shortly thereafter the copy
>halted. I was able to switch virtual consoles but that was about it.

>The kernel was 2.0.33 compiled with SMP support. I finally had to hit
>the reset button to get the machine back. I know that this isn't very

>The machine isn't production yet so we could repeat the process
>without damaging anything.

In that case, try repeating the process and get a feel for how
well-reproducable the problem is. Once you're confident it is an error
which occurs often (preferably every time), try applying my patch.
Then rerun the test and see if it makes a difference.

--
Sincerely,                                                          srb@cuci.nl
           Stephen R. van den Berg (AKA BuGless).

"I don't object to sex before marriage, but two minutes before?!?"