Re: Memory leak in 2.0.33 ??

mharris@ican.net
Tue, 23 Dec 1997 17:15:03 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 22 Dec 1997, Krzysztof Strasburger wrote:

> >Right now, I have 16M of swap used up, and it keeps getting
> >worse. It seems when I look at a new web page, the hard disk
> >starts going wild.
> >
> > total: used: free: shared: buffers: cached:
> >Mem: 31760384 29810688 1949696 13037568 843776 7430144
> >Swap: 34058240 15798272 18259968
> >MemTotal: 31016 kB
> >MemFree: 1904 kB
> >MemShared: 12732 kB
> >Buffers: 824 kB
> >Cached: 7256 kB
> >SwapTotal: 33260 kB
> Hi all...
> It looks like the swap cache bug. I have posted a fix for it many times
> to this list and it was even fixed in pre-2.0.31-2, but things look bad.
> Linus probably decided to keep the bug forever in the kernel. I suppose,
> it is still present in the 2.1.xx kernels... If you have ram >= swap,
> swap > 0 - be ready for crash!
> You can find the fix (for older kernel, but it should be applicable to the
> newer too) on Linux Mama (http://www.huwig.de/linux/mama).

You can see my RAM/SWAP in the above table. I have 32M RAM, and
34M swap so SWAP > RAM and your conditions aren't met.
Nonetheless, I'm still getting a high load avg for no reason.
Only one copy of PINE running, and Netscape + X. No cron jobs or
other stuff. Starts out with 8M free memory. I come back after
10 hours, and it's dug 16M into swap.

;o(

On an IDLE SYSTEM!

Mike A. Harris | Homepage: http://blackwidow.saultc.on.ca/~mharris
Computer Consultant |
System/Network Administrator - John Howard Society, Sault Ste. Marie, Ont.
Mark should get a sound card and more ISA slots!!!!!!!! ;o)