Re: Triton DMA

Pavel Machek (pavel@Elf.mj.gts.cz)
Sun, 30 Nov 1997 22:05:08 +0100

Hi!

> > H. Peter Anvin <hpa@transmeta.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >I guess I don't really understand the quest to turn IDE into SCSI,
> > >especially since SCSI is *still* very much more versatile than IDE; I
> > >have yet to see an IDE scanner...
> >
> > Well, SCSI may be more versatile, but I have yet to get a single report
> > about problems with IDE because of bad termination.
>
> If we turn SCSI versatility into IDE non-versatility by doing the
> following:
>
> - Solder a terminator on every SCSI controller.
> - Change 'Terminator enabled' jumper to 'Secondary'
> 'Terminator disabled then means 'Primary'

Sorry. No.

On IDE, you are permitted to put master/slave disc anywhere on that
bus. You can swap then and they will work. SCSI expects termination
at the end of cable.

[What about soldering terminators _INTO EACH SCSI CABLE_? You would
not be able to cut them...]

Pavel

--
I'm really pavel@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz. 	   Pavel