Re: Sound modules and 2.1.67

Pekka Pietik{inen (pp@netppl.fi)
Sun, 30 Nov 1997 12:41:57 +0200

On Nov 30, 4:04am, Regis Duchesne wrote:

> When doing make modules_install, there is a complain about sound_syms.o
> which can't be copied in the right module directory...
This is normal, the Makefiles just need some adjusting I think...

> I also have a oops when rmmod'ing() some sound related modules. Do you
> need further details?
Could be nice, please mail them to me and/or Alan Cox
However, if it's softoss, I know that's broken in modular sound,
I'll try to get it working soonish.

> Btw, could Red Hat guys also update the documentation? E.g. they
> could explain that we have to update /etc/modules.conf to something like
> alias char-major-14 sb
> options sb io=0x220 irq=10 dma=3 dma16=7 mpu_io=0x330
and also
options adlib_card io=0x388

I think the documented way works in 2.0, so that's why they
use dma=3,7. It doesn't in 2.1.

> I have looked at the dependancies generated by depmod :
> sb needs uart401 and sound, uart401 needs sound, sound needs nothing.
uart401 can be used in two ways, standalone or it can provide functions
to other drivers.

> Are these dependancies ok? If yes, why does the makefile compile
> ad1848, adlib_card, opl3, and sb_card too? Are they really necessary?
The ad1848 does seems to be a bug. adlib_card is required
for the FM part of the SB.

> After having just loaded only sb, uart401 and sound,
> I tried to test all the features of my soundcard:
> cat foobar.au > /dev/audio : ok so 8 bit sound is ok
> mpg123 foobar.mp3 : ok so 16 bit sound is ok
>
> So it seems that other modules are not really needed, or that I have
> forgotten to test some other features of my soundcard (how to test FM
> synthesis for example?). Any clue?
playmidi -f, and then you'll need adlib_card.

--
Pekka Pietikäinen, Net People Ltd., Oulu, Finland