Re: VFS

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Sun, 30 Nov 1997 00:11:12 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 30 Nov 1997 ralf@uni-koblenz.de wrote:

> An inode still has uid, gid and permission information, so the files aren't
> completly unprotected.
>
> A far bigger problem in real live with this patch is that it doesn't really
> help to speedup things like unlinking files, therefore it doesn't help to
> speed up the expire. As I said, a good kludge but no real solution.

The inum patch wasn't intended to affect expire times. It was intended to
reduce the overhead of feeding news to other sites. The theory was if you
told innxmit to open a list of files to feed to another server, feeding
innxmit a list of inode numbers avoided the overhead of opening a file in
a dir with potentially thousands of other files. I never tried these
patches, so I can't say how well it actually works.

Jon Lewis <jlewis@fdt.net> | Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
Network Administrator | be proof-read for $199/message.
Florida Digital Turnpike |