Re: Triton DMA

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
30 Nov 1997 00:52:05 GMT

In article <65q0g9$6nu$1@palladium.transmeta.com>,
H. Peter Anvin <hpa@transmeta.com> wrote:

>I guess I don't really understand the quest to turn IDE into SCSI,
>especially since SCSI is *still* very much more versatile than IDE; I
>have yet to see an IDE scanner...

Well, SCSI may be more versatile, but I have yet to get a single report
about problems with IDE because of bad termination.

The fact is that neither IDE not SCSI is perfect. IDE wins hands down
in price and ease of use, while SCSI wins on high-end performance and
flexibility. Which one you consider to be more important depends on the
use.

There are lots of people who think that SCSI is inherently better.
Personally I consider that to be a very limited view of the situation.

As to IDE scanners - a few years ago the selling point of SCSI oevr IDE
(at least according to SCSI proponents) was that you could buy CD-ROM
drives etc for SCSI without having to buy an extra card. Anybody who
buys a SCSI CD-ROM these days has too much money and too little sense.

IDE has had a _lot_ of development due to mass market issues. Many
technical people look at technical specifications rather than at market
issues, and that's not necessarily the best thing to do.

Linus