Re: Frozen machine, no obvious reason

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Sat, 29 Nov 1997 01:12:34 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 28 Nov 1997, Mihai Ibanescu wrote:

> > It could be someone is doing what is called a teardrop attack ... goto
> > www.linux.org and get the patch and see if it stops happening
>
> No way. Teardrop attack is fixed in 2.0.32, and I have
> successfully tried it on 2.0.31 kernels. The behaviour is not this.
> Teardrop quickly eats up all system memory and reboots in 2 seconds.

This depends on the system. I did similar tests (actually some remote
scum did half the testing for me) and one of my servers would reboot from
teardrop, another would just spew junk to the console and hang hard enough
that softdog would not reset the box. Both were running 2.0.31-pre10.

Jon Lewis <jlewis@fdt.net> | Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
Network Administrator | be proof-read for $199/message.
Florida Digital Turnpike |