Re: Write to nfs fs gives I/O Error

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Fri, 28 Nov 1997 18:04:26 -0500

Tony Lill wrote:

> Here you go. matrix is the Unixware server, slug is the client.
>
> Nov 28 17:27:48 matrix unix: nfs_server: bad getargs
> Nov 28 17:27:48 slug.ajlc.waterloo.on.ca slug kernel: RPC: garbage, exit EIO
> Nov 28 17:27:49 matrix unix: nfs_server: bad getargs
> Nov 28 17:27:53 matrix last message repeated 2 times
> Nov 28 17:27:53 slug.ajlc.waterloo.on.ca slug last message repeated 3 times
> Nov 28 17:28:06 matrix unix: nfs_server: bad getargs
> Nov 28 17:28:06 slug.ajlc.waterloo.on.ca slug kernel: RPC: garbage, exit EIO

OK, that's a good start: your server doesn't like an argument that we
sent, and something is trashed in the RPC reply. Any pattern to when
these are generated? Is it always a certain operation, when the network
load is high, etc.?

> Also, I've been getting these in .65 and .66, they don't appear to be
> related to the EIO's, but what do I know.
>
> Nov 28 17:28:15 slug.ajlc.waterloo.on.ca slug kernel: nfsd_d_validate: invalid length -252605915

This one's harmless, and has been removed from my latest changes. It
just means a dentry didn't validate, but the lookup mechanism will patch
things up.

But just out of curiosity, this means you're running knfsd on the slug
machine. Is knfsd working out well as a server at your installation? Do
you get any of the errors noted with the unixware machine?

Regards,
Bill