RE: 2.0.32: hard lockups with adaptec 2940U

Doug Ledford (dledford@dialnet.net)
Thu, 27 Nov 1997 15:02:09 -0600 (CST)

On 27-Nov-97 Chris Evans wrote:

>On Wed, 26 Nov 1997, Doug Ledford wrote:
>
>> You can find it at ftp.dialnet.net in /pub/linux/aic7xxx. There are
>patches
>> there for both the 2.0.31 and 2.0.32 kernel. We use 2.0.32 plus this
>patch
>> on things like our news server and other high load disk servers.
>
>Are these patches planned for 2.0.33? They sound important. Bear in mind
>2.0.32 is our "flagship" kernel, and if it can't hand the world's most
>popular SCSI card when put under a bit of load....

I guess some people would say unfortunately, but no. They are not planned
for inclusion. These patches are created by me and are designed to solve
certain reliability issues in the current aic7xxx driver. However, Dan
Eischen is the official aic7xxx maintainer. What goes in the kernel is what
he releases. Some of the code in these patches he doesn't want in the
official driver because it makes the job of porting newer versions of the
driver from FreeBSD to linux more difficult. This is mainly true in areas
where the FreeBSD mid level SCSI code handles certain situations on behalf
of the low level driver and linux's mid level SCSI code doesn't.

E-Mail: Doug Ledford <dledford@dialnet.net>
Date: 27-Nov-97
Time: 15:02:10