Re: fork: out of memory

Mike Jagdis (mike@roan.co.uk)
Thu, 27 Nov 1997 11:33:29 +0000 (GMT/BST)

On Wed, 26 Nov 1997, John Alvord wrote:

> Memory is getting so inexpensive in some environments, wouldn't it make
> sense to have an option to reserve DMA-able memory at init time? With 16
> megs going for $60, it is worth setting aside 4megs or 8 megs which would
> have to be specially requested.

I hope I'm not the only one that finds that amusing :-).

Hard disks are getting cheaper too so why bother with code
optimisation or shared libraries? After all CPUs are getting
cheaper so the you can fix the speed loss by buying a new
processor. The poor cache locality is easily fixed by getting
a newer motherboard with more L2 cache (and a newer processor
with more L1 cache) - they're getting cheap too. Takes too
long to load programs? Your hard disk spins too slow - buy
a new one, 6GB is under 200 pounds trade...

Mike

|  Mike Jagdis                  |  Internet:  mailto:mike@roan.co.uk   |
|  Roan Technology Ltd.         |                                      |
|  54A Peach Street, Wokingham  |  Telephone:  +44 118 989 0403        |
|  RG40 1XG, ENGLAND            |  Fax:        +44 118 989 1195        |