Re: ISSUE (2.1.65): TCP/DNS service stopping

Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
27 Nov 1997 00:40:16 +0100

John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> writes:

> This would at first not seem to be a kernel issue, but it must be
> since this only happens under 2.1.65 (2.0.x is fine.)
>
> What happens is this: the system will stop looking up names by DNS
> after awhile. However, the outside is still reachable and the inside
> is still reachable.
>
> Here's my configuration:
> * PCI NE2000 Ethernet card. Internal network only, IP 10.0.0.1
> * Loopback device, of course.
> * PPP connection to the outside. Has a dynamic IP and is controlled
> by diald (which I believe uses a psuedo-SLIP connection for
> monitoring puposes.)
>
> It seems that after connecting to PPP and then disconnecting a few
> times, the name server on my local machine (10.0.0.1) cannot be
> reached; it complains that it cannot access 10.0.0.1.
>
> This has never been a problem under 2.0.x.
>
> Any ideas?

Your bug report is a bit 'incomplete'. When you see it next, please
send in the results of a ping 10.0.0.1, of netstat -a, of
/sbin/ifconfig, and a strace log of the failing network calls. If it's
possible a tcpdump too (but please trimmed down)

-Andi