Re: pageable page tables

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@fys.ruu.nl)
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 21:37:00 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Joel Gallun wrote:

> VMS had (has?) pageable page tables. I suppose it made sense
> when VMS had to run on machines with 256K (K, not M) of RAM
> but I don't think it makes much sense today.

It might make some difference when you have suspended some
_large_ simulation because the machine is used interactively
during the day, or when you have _loads_ of processes running,
or...

Another concern is that users can grab _all_ of system memory
by having several processes do a 2GB mmap of /dev/zero...
This 'doesn't take any memory' so they can take up as much
(non-pageable) pagetable memory as they want.
In fact, this is the main reason people asked me if I could look
into this... This is one of the biggest denial-of-service holes
still left. (ssstt)

Rik.

Send Linux memory-management wishes to me: I'm currently looking
for something to hack...