Re: Low Memory Systems...

Lorens Kockum (kockum@efrei.fr)
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 16:41:32 +0100

On Tue, Nov 25, 1997 at 03:45:11PM +0100, Thomas Pornin wrote:

> A friend of mine tried to compile a kernel on a 2MB machine. It never
> went beyond the first stage of "make dep". I believe the total compile
> time would exceed the harddisk life-time.

I compiled a 1.0.9 kernel with a 1.2.13 kernel on a 2MB 16 MHz 386.
It took 52 hours and ten minutes of continual swapping. In my experience,
4MB is the low limit for a usable Linux (with the 1.0.9 I still had to
disable klogd and other things to get up to speed (!)).

--
include <std_disclaim.h>                  Lorens KOCKUM ( kockum@efrei.fr )