Re: ISSUE: 2.1.65 boot hangs at "Booting processor 1"

John Goerzen (jgoerzen@complete.org)
24 Nov 1997 21:37:09 -0600

Brian Gerst <bgerst@quark.vpplus.com> writes:

> > CPU 166 MHz
> > APIC bus 0.00 MHz
> > Booting processor 1 eip 2000
> >
> > At that point, at "booting processor", it locked hard. Ctrl-Alt-Del
> > would not rescue it.
> >
> Do you only have the one processor? If so, either recompile the kernel

Yes.

> without SMP=1 in the Makefile, or put 'nosmp' on the kernel command line

This fixed the problem (nosmp). Thanks for the tip.

> (via lilo). Tyan boards seem to report a 2nd cpu even if one is not
> present (my Tomcat IV does).

My board, incidentally, is not a dual-processor board. Makes it all
the stranger :-)

And -- 2.0.x doesn't have the same problem. Weird.

Perhaps SMP could be made an option in the {menu,x}config system?
That way I would have said no to it and eliminated the problem
altogether :-)

BTW, what the heck is an APIC bus? Never heard of one before now :-)

--
John Goerzen          | Developing for Debian GNU/Linux (www.debian.org)
Custom Programming    | Debian GNU/Linux is a free replacement for