Re: fork: out of memory

Craig Schlenter (craig@security.is.co.za)
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 07:27:30 +0200 (SAT)

On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, David E. Fox wrote:

[snip]
> [me]
> > Rik: if you are reading this, kswapd was chomping 99% CPU and I wasn't
> > trying to do much aside from start netscape. I could watch it paint
>
> I didn't notice that, but I'll look into it. At the time, netscape wasn't
> running, but I did have one or two xterms up, compiling in one window,
> grabbing news in the other, etc.

You shouldn't see this sort of thing on a vanilla 2.1.65 I hope. There
were two machines I was describing in my mail. The vanilla 2.1.65 machine
locked up and the 2.1.65 + vhand machine chomped lots of cpu (but it
didn't lock up).

I see Rik has released a new version of vhand (2.1.65c,
http://www.fys.ruu.nl/~riel/) which should be more cpu friendly so I will
be trying that out tonight. Thanks Rik! I'll report any interesting
problems.

Cheers,

--Craig