Re: fork: out of memory

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@fys.ruu.nl)
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 18:32:38 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, Craig Schlenter wrote:

> There have been several complaints lately to linux-kernel about memory
> related issues and the vhand stuff (see linux-mama) does try to address
> this but I haven't put that patch in on my work machine yet. The latest
> vhand patch turned my home machine (16M RAM) into chewing gum (S L O W
> chewing gum) but the prior version was OK btw.
>
> Rik: if you are reading this, kswapd was chomping 99% CPU and I wasn't
> trying to do much aside from start netscape. I could watch it paint
> xterms, pixel-line by line so I'd guess the new self tuning stuff needs
> some more work ...

The 'more work' has been done, somewhat... Kswapd now
uses less CPU, as does vhand. Ideally kswapd and vhand
should tune eachother (MAX_SWAP_FAIL) so they both use
the same amount of CPU (I think this would also be the
minimum amount of CPU used).

The next vhand will be released with 2.1.66 (or tomorrow
if 2.1.66 takes too long to wait for:)...
Linus, if you read this, could you send an indication as
to when we can expect 2.1.66? If it's after wednesday
I guess I'll release a vhand-2.1.66c and head for the
record books by releasing a 3d patch version for the
same kernel version :)

Rik.

ps: Is this a record? Has anyone kept track of this?
Send Linux memory-management wishes to me: I'm currently looking
for something to hack...