Re: multiple device exports for knfsd

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@fys.ruu.nl)
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 13:14:20 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Bill Hawes wrote:

> Olaf Kirch wrote:
[snip]
> > root on some client might create a hard link from /usr/bin/vi to
> > /home/joedoe/vi and overwrite the file.
>
> Could these issues be handled by requiring that looked-up dentries (i.e.
> obtained from nfsd_lookup) have the export dentry as an ancester, or is
> this too restrictive? If all dentries used in nfsd operations have to
> come from nfsd_lookup, it seems like this would keep each operation in
> its own export sandbox. Crossing mount points could happen only in
> client space then.

Wouldn't novice sysadmins be served best by a really comprehensive
HOWTO describing all pitfalls they might encounter when setting up
something like this...
Making the system fool-proof won't work completely (them fools are
just too damn smart :), and writing a comprehensive HOWTO requires
less work and is (IMHO) of better help to serious sysadmins.

Rik.

Send Linux memory-management wishes to me: I'm currently looking
for something to hack...