Re: [sx]quake still segfaults with 2.0.32 and MMX pentium

Aron Griffis (agriffis@coat.com)
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 10:29:40 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, Christopher Blizzard wrote:

> In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.971123215535.17468B-100000@argon.roma2.infn.it>, "Lor
> enzo M. Catucci" is rumored to have said:
> :Dear readers,
> : I think this could be of some interest, therefore...
> :I just have tried xquake again, after a kernel and an xquake upgrade...
> :This is sillier than ever, since the program ran well the first time I
> :launched it, but stops with a SEGV the second time I try running it...
> :
> :Maybe I'm wrong, but this sounds like a problem for vhand's patch, which I
> :understand runs only with 2.1... Maybe some more kmalloc tweak missing?
> :I'll have to reboot in a couple of days, and could put in an instrumented
> :kernel, if it might help some way...
>
> I have had this problem as well with a 233 MMX at home running 2.0.30, 31
> or 32. I've tried the Linux kernel sound drivers, the OSS drivers, no
> sound, no lan, rebooting, modules vs. compiled in drivers and none of it
> really seems to make a difference. I swear, it used to work. :)

Doubtful it's a kernel problem. Probably it was compiled against
different versions of the libraries (svgalib, libc, etc) than you're
running. Periodically the differences in the versions will show up and
*poof* you have a segfault.

The easiest way around this is to find out what versions were used (ask
Zoid?) and write a wrapper script similar to the netscape-wrapper-bnl rpm.