Re: FireGL 1000 Pro support

Achim Oppelt (aoppelt@theorie3.physik.uni-erlangen.de)
24 Nov 1997 13:04:55 +0100

Linux Developer <kernel@prj.pcimporters.com> writes:

> It may be strange, but it's a workaround. The FireGL 1000 Pro uses the
> Permedia2 chipset, and for some reason, Linux sees the TI RAMDAC.

No it doesn't. The Permedia2 is also manufactured by Texas Instruments, so
the TI vendor ID is correct. I got the following information from one of
the developpers of the XFree86 server for 3Dlabs chipsets:

Ti uses vendor ID 0x104c. The Permedia2 as manufactured by TI is called
TVP4020 and has device ID 0x3d07. TI also seems to make the old Permedia
(TVP4010) with device ID 0x3d04, and there seem to be Diamond cards that
use this chip.

I guess these entries should be included in the next kernels (2.0.32
doesn't seem to have them), therefore I CC'ed this message to the
linux-pcisupport address.

> Perhaps, but it's not seeing anything but the RAMDAC, which appears to be
> the source of some serious problems with X. It tries "generic" chipset
> when it cannot find the Vendor/Chipset from the PCI information, thusly
> causing the card to be initialized incorrectly, so, I get stuck with it
> detecting 64k of memory, and 320x200 resolution. ;P

Which X server are you trying to use? As far as I am aware (from the same
source quoted above), there is no X server for the Permedia2 yet.

Achim