Misreporting /proc/cpuinfo on VX-clone motherboards

Andre Derrick Balsa (andrewbalsa@usa.net)
Sat, 15 Nov 1997 15:55:15 +0100

Hi,

Phillip R. Jaenke wrote:
> This appears to be a Cyrix-only issue, but I can't be sure. I don't have
> any intel CPUs at home to test it with, only a Cx6x86 PR200L+ and Cx6x86
> PR166L+. I recall seeing a patch somewhere for UMC8886/8887
> identification, so it would be greatly appreciated if someone could
> confirm or deny this, before I set to work on a patch of my own. It
> would also be greatly appreciated if someone could test this with
> an intel CPU, non-MMX preferrably. The 8886 board is an Amptron
> PM-8600, so if any of you have one of those lying around, crank it
> up, give it a shot. Thanks much! :)

This is not a problem with the kernel itself, it is probably due to the
BIOS on these motherboards not resetting the SLOP bit in the 6x86 CPUs.

Try using my short kernel patch posted a few days ago. Or use set6x86
and run the stand-alone Bogomips program to check results.

Also check my Kernel patches page on the 6x86/Linux Web site:
http://www.tux.org/~balsa/linux/cyrix/p3.html

Cheers,

Andrew D. Balsa
Home Page: http://www.tux.org/~balsa