Re: My desires for 2.2

linux kernel account (linker@nightshade.z.ml.org)
Fri, 14 Nov 1997 10:29:14 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, Lorenzo M. Catucci wrote:

> Dear readers,
> I see the code freeze is somewhat slower than Linus thought, and I
> think this is nice too... since I am now able to tell these desires in
> time...
>
> 1. Please, tell me how to know about the ext2 ACL effort, and consider
> putting its results to a thorough check[1]. I think ACL could be the best
> ``marketing move'' for Linux, and gain a very useful and flexible security
> means

Yes, it would be good.. But how mature is it..

> 1.a ext2 undelete support... help me with stupid users, like the one who
> did an rm -r on his own home directory (it was myself some year ago,
> but have been lucky enough since I made a backup the previus day)

Hmm.. Not very likely..

> 1.b ext2 compression support... bigger drives get more files, and fill
> faster...

This patch has become quite mature (IHMO) and warrents becoming a
expirmental feature in 2.2.

> 1.c these two have a lesser status than ACL: if we have to trade ACL for
> undelete or compress, keep ACL, and trade the other party in the
> conflict

I disagree.. Largely because ext2 compression is more popular and has more
users.. It' also more mature.. More people can benifit from ext2 compress.